As a rule, only current year model vehicles with zero miles can be imported into Colombia. Of course, certain exceptions apply to vehicles of diplomats, and in rarer cases, classic or collector cars. On the off-chance, you believe your used car may be qualified, you will want to contact Colombia’s Ministry of Transport directly in order to obtain the proper paperwork. If you have decided to purchase a new vehicle abroad, say in the United States, and ship it into Colombia, there are certain steps you need to follow to ensure a smooth process from beginning to end.
Assemble Required Documents
The following list of needed paperwork and info is by no means all-inclusive as every situation differs slightly, but it is a good place to start.
- Your Current Passport with Visa
- Import Permit- This must be approved by Customs in the United States in order to initiate the shipping process
- Emissions Certificate- This document shows that your vehicle passes the strict standards imposed on all vehicles in Colombia.
- Your current ID or driver’s license
- Certificate of Title AND current registration showing there is no lienholder
- Bill of Sale/Purchase Order/Commercial Invoice
- Bill of Lading (minimum of 2 copies)
Calculate Costs Associated
There are three main components that make up the exorbitant amount of money you can expect to pay when importing a vehicle.
- Duty and Import Tax (0%-35%, average of 11%)
- Sales Tax (Value Added Tax or VAT) (16%)
- Shipping Fees
The first two costs are calculated based on the CIF (Cost, Insurance, and Freight) which takes into account the value of the vehicle combined with the costs of insurance and freight. After all the totals are tallied, many people find that they may spend up to the actual value of the vehicle itself. For this reason, it is extremely important to do research to ensure that importing your new vehicle is your best course of action.
Find a Reputable Auto Transport Company
The company you choose can not only help with submitting the proper documents for an easy clearance through Customs, but is also responsible for the physical transport of your brand new vehicle, so choose carefully. Make sure they have the minimum required insurance, and also firsthand knowledge when it comes to shipping a vehicle from the US to Colombia. You do not want to tempt fate by enlisting the help of a rookie company with little to no experience in the industry. The auto transport company you choose can truly make or break your experience, so if you want a stress-free and efficient transport, find the best company in the industry to help you out.
This post was written by A-1 Autotransport. For more info on how to get your car to Colombia, or anywhere else, visit their website www.a1autotransport.com